Multi Protocol Label Switching – MPLS comes with the concept of label switching, encapsulating multi protocols and evolved to address some of the limitations of traditional IP routing. Later becomes popular and the preferred VPN Service Model (Layer 3 and Layer 2 VPN ) for Network Operators. This etutorial covers the fundamentals concepts of how label switch the packets, MPLS architecture, label operations, Label Distribution Protocols – LDP neighbor discovery, operations, and implementation.
This online tutorial is fee-free.
Technical folks who are building or operating a service provider or enterprise network and interested in learning about MPLS.
It is assumed that participants have a basic understanding of:
- Basic IP Routing
- Network operations, Internet technologies, OSI reference model and TCP/IP.
- Basic Linux command line (CLI) skills.
- The lab exercises use Cisco IOS configuration syntax.
We recommend the following Academy courses be completed before the start of the tutorial:
- Routing Basics: https://academy.apnic.net/en/course/routing-basics/
- MPLS Overview
- MPLS Architecture
- MPLS label operations and label switched paths
- Introduction to Label Distribution Protocols – LDP
- LDP neighborship, operations and implementation
Hardware: Participants are advised to bring their own laptop computers with high-speed Wi-Fi (802.11a/g/n/ac) and administrative access to system. It is also recommended that laptops have Intel i5 or i7 processor, >=8GB of RAM and 30GB of free hard disk space.
Software: SSH Client, Telnet Client (PuTTy)
Confirm Secure SHell (SSH) is allowed from the office or home network to access the lab infrastructure? Test ssh connectivity, try to connect to route-views.oregon-ix.net. For example from the CLI type: ssh email@example.com